Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who is MHNet Behavioral Health?
MHNet is a behavioral health care organization with a nationwide network of psychiatrists, psychologists, and therapists.
2. Are you the same as my insurance company?
MHNet is a company chosen by your health care plan or your employer to coordinate your behavioral health care and/or Employee Assistance Program benefits.
3. Can you answer questions regarding my medical insurance?
No, MHNet only administers and has information on behavioral health care and/or EAP benefits. Please contact the customer service number on your insurance card regarding any medical benefits.
4. How does MHNet protect my personal information?
MHNet will always request your permission (or that of a legal guardian) before releasing any information about you or your care to an unauthorized party. Additionally, MHNet does numerous other things to protect your personal health information:
- All MHNet employees, when hired, sign an agreement to keep information private.
- Confidential material is only shared with those employees who have a need to know.
- Confidential material is kept in a secure and locked location.
- MHNet evaluates the methods used by providers to maintain privacy of information.
- MHNet does not release details about your care to your employer without your written approval.
- When MHNet uses data to improve quality, information is reported on a group basis. Personal details are not reported.
- Identifiable information is protected and coded.
- Access to computerized information is protected by passwords.
5. Can I see my treatment records?
Records pertaining to your treatment are protected under state and federal law. If you would like to see your records, please contact your provider who will arrange for you to review your records. Please be aware that if you need a copy of your records there might be a fee.
6. How do I obtain a referral or authorization?
You may contact MHNet by calling the telephone number for mental health services on your member ID card.
7. Do I need a referral from a primary care physician to see a mental health provider?
Whether or not a referral is needed is determined by your specific plan benefits on a plan-by-plan basis.
8. Are things like marriage counseling or psychological testing covered by my plan?
Coverage of different types of services is determined by your specific plan benefits.
9. Who can make a complaint?
A complaint can be made by an enrollee, enrollee advocate (guardian/parent of a child or a competent adult or agency that has legal custody of an individual), practitioner, provider (facility or program), health plan or government agency.
10. How do I file a complaint?
An enrollee may make a complaint either verbally or in writing. You should contact the appropriate MHNet regional office to file your complaint.
11. What is an appeal?
An appeal is any request by the member for reconsideration of a decision.
12. How do I file an appeal?
Members may appeal either orally or in writing. You should contact the appropriate MHNet Regional Office to file your appeal.
13. Does MHNet offer financial incentives to practitioners to deny or limit services to members?
MHNet pays therapists, hospitals, and clinics on a fee-for-service basis. MHNet does not make payments that encourage denials of coverage or services. MHNet works to provide care based on member needs and the most effective and efficient way to meet those needs.
14. Does MHNet use any outside vendor or companies to assist us?
Yes. MHNet does partner with HIPAA-compliant outside vendors for the following services: shredding, electronic and paper storage, interpretation, and consultation services. This is considered delegation per URAC.
Member Contact Information
We make it easy for you to ... Call us.